Thursday, September 9, 2010

Labor?? What Labor??

For Labor Day weekend, the Shoup House was abuuuuuuuuuzzzzzzz with activity. Nothing new there. Momma took the term "Labor Day" to heart and labored...all weekend long! To escape the madness, Daddy and Kaitlyn went to see a really cool live butterfly exhibit at the Smithsonian. It was so "live" that butterflies could actually land on you and we have pictures to prove it! It was also, so "live" that by the time they came home, Daddy and TIC both were ready for long naps! But when she woke up, the Toddler in Chief was excited to tell me all about the butterflies.

Sunday night we attended a barbecue at a neighbor's house. I was unsure of how TIC would do because 1) she was cranky from her late nap, and 2) there were no children to distract her. She did great and sat in the patio chair and ate her dinner like a little lady. What surprised me was her intense interest in the corn on the cob. She's been eating corn for awhile, so the concept of corn was not new to her, but eating it off the cob is. Brent broke off a piece of his cob and she chowed down like we had never fed her before. By the end of the night, I think her cob was cleaner than mine! I wasn't even considering giving her corn on the cob until she was like 30 and I could be assured that she wouldn't fling corn stuff everywhere, but apparently she's ready and I better assume my seat on the bandwagon.

Monday brought us a playdate with classmate Allison. TIC was a gracious hostess and showed off all that her basement had to offer. I think she was excited to have someone her size to play with and she and Allie are good friends at school As the playdate wore down and Allie and her mom went through the motions of going home, I noticed Allie didn't have her shoes. I asked TIC to get Allie's shoes for her. TIC located the shoes, brought them to Allie and gave them to Allie's mom who was very surprised. She clearly is unaware of Kaitlyn's obsession with matching shoes to the right person! The entire rest of the world can be chaos, but Kaitlyn will know where everybody's shoes are. She's coy about it. When you ask her "Kaitlyn, where are your shoes?" She'll reply with an instant "Ionno" and shrug. However, less than a minute later, she'll give you the location and you'll be on your merry way. This clever child of mine...I'd better be careful whose house I let her loose in. She'll have their shoes catalogued in no time.

No comments: