Monday, June 27, 2011

What's my name???

A month or so ago, I posted about our glipse of the teenage years when overnight I went from "Mommy" to "Mom." These days, KIC mixes the two and mostly uses "Mom" when she's exasperated with me. While I'd like to tell you that KIC very rarely gets exasperated with me, that couldn't be farther from the truth. It's a well known fact that KIC is much smarter than me, a fact that she drives home on a regular basis.

In the Shoup House, Brent and I refer to each other as "Mommy" and "Daddy" or "honey." On occasion, when I'm irritated with Daddy, I'll employ a long, drawn out "Breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeent", which is very quickly parroted by KIC. I'm sure my giggles are egging KIC on which has lead to her retaining Daddy's "real" name very well. Not so much my name. To be fair, I secretly believe that not even Daddy remembers my name most of the time. It always shocks me when he uses my name. But I digress.

This weekend, KIC and I had the privilege of" hanging with my parents in Virginia Beach. Nowhere in the world is there any place where my name is used more or with that many inflections. KIC picked up on this, so while I was downstairs discussing something with my mom, I heard "Kellllllllyyyyyyyyy, Kellyyyyyyyyyyyyy, Kelly!, Keeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllyyyyyyy". It finally dawned on me that it was KIC upstairs calling my name!!! Talk about a quick study. Rest assured, I let her know that to her, my name was "Mommy" not "Kelly" and that she should use "Mommy" from that point on. Don't think that was the end of it, as a couple of more "Kellys" came out over the weekend. This momma is not a granola, touchy feely kind of momma so if the Kellys don't stop, it may be time for drastic measures. ;-)

No comments: