Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My Day Job is Safe

Having KIC in a more relaxed setting has given us the ability to explore new enrichment opportunities.  KIC, for her part, is happy to participate in most anything.  With this new chapter, however, she will get to explore dance for the very first time.  She has displayed an amazing (read: moves only a mother could love) ability to "shake her booty".  As she has not displayed the same affinity for using her listening ears, Sassy K (KIC's in-home teacher.  I am currently auditioning nicknames) and I agreed that perhaps something a little more freestyle (hip hop/jazz) and a little less structured may be the best course to start with.  I love me a girl in a tutu as much as the next parent, but visions of KIC standing there shaking her booty and grinning like a wild child while the other girls were en pointe kept flashing through my head.

In support, and practice of the upcoming dance class, I decided that purchasing Just Dance for the Wii would be a good idea.  And what kind of parent would I be if I didn't demonstrate/explain the "rules" of the game??  I felt like I could be reasonably good at it, having invented my own dance move:  The Peppermint Patty (not the candy, the Peanuts character).  Haven't heard of it??  I'm shocked!!!  It's legendary (amongst my friends as a way to discuss my extreme lack of dance moves).

Apparently, my cool quotient was lost on KIC as I demonstrated the game.  Midway through the FIRST song, she stopped in the middle of a dance move and said in the "you're really have no clue" voice generally reserved for teenagers:  "Are we going to miss bedtime??" As I was out of breath from shaking my booty to the musical stylings of "I like to move it move it", I could only weakly shake my head and finish the song.

So, my three takeaways from the evening:
1.  No, there is no video nor do I plan for one in the future.
2.  If my 4 year old, who compliments me on my burping abilities, can't appreciate my moves, then my day job can rest easy in the confidence that I will not be quitting any time soon.
3.  I hope my dignity returns soon.

No comments: