Thursday, September 8, 2011

What have the Shoups been up to?

Labor Day weekend was a very busy weekend in the Shoup house. I am a longtime member of the Sports Car Club of America. Through our regional club, the Washington DC Region, we were given the opportunity to go behind the scenes at the Baltimore Grand Prix. Our primary responsibility was to be on hand to help support the flag workers at their stations by providing essential supplies - lunch, beverages, ice and transportation to and from their stations. When it was time to work, it was time to work NOW, but there was a lot of downtime that allowed us to REALLY check everything out. Brent got to see the Indy car race up close and personal and I was on the teevee witnessing a spectacular cluster at the beginning of the ALMS race on Saturday. For those who may be concerned, we alternated when we were at the race, lest you think we left KIC unattended with the Sleepy Hound Brigade.

I did learn, while at the Baltimore Grand Prix, that my stalking skills leave much to be desired. I *just* missed Danica Patrick a million times! One time, I had my head down as I was labeling lunches and she rode right by on her little scooter thing. Brent will proudly tell you that Danica said "hello" to him as she walked by from Pit Row. Sonofa... Time to brush up on my evasive manuever skills...or just stay in one place for when she walks by, as was the case for Brent. Lucky man.

Sunday, KIC got to do a couple of things that we both love the most. Sunday morning, we met a lovely woman at Petsmart so she could meet our former foster, Saturday. I know, meeting Saturday on a Sunday, har har. Anyway, it was love at first sight for the woman and I don't hate you for Sadie, so Sadie was whisked off to her forever home before she could blink. Altogether now, awwwwwwwwww.

Later, that same day, KIC and I hosted a party for a bunch of her friends. It was a "back to school tie-dye and ice cream party" - no, really, that was the official name. I miscalculated the back to school part as Loudoun County went back to school the previous week, but nobody seemed to mind. Here are the highlights from the party:

• Everybody left with some sort of color on a white t-shirt. One Redskin fan created a beautiful Green Bay Packers themed onesie, but I didn’t give him too much grief for it.
• Everybody received a bowl of ice cream and the whipped cream was a hit. There were also some VERY delicious fresh picked blackberries that I thoroughly enjoyed. I think there were other toppings too, but whipped cream and blackberries were all I needed.
• The sherbet significance was lost on everybody. C’mon, tie-dyed ice cream!!!
• A boy participant picked his girlfriend out the minute she walked in the door. He had his pick of the ladies and I must say, he did very well. I don’t think his love was reciprocated, but this did not seem to phase him. Courageous young man, that’s for sure.
• My hands are still tie-dyed.
• The foster cats have all recovered nicely from their exposure to the horde of girls superexcited about seeing four legged creatures. I will say, they have started to look both ways before coming out from their hiding place and some of them still have wide eyes.
• No animals were tie-dyed - intentionally. I'm kidding, of course. We meant to tie-dye Sunshine (Tino wouldn't stand still).

A great time was had by all! Stay tuned for the next wild Shoup party idea!

Monday was spent recovering from the rest of the weekend. We did manage to make some DELISHIOUS lemonade by hand with KIC, which she loved. We didn't even have a juicer. Brent was happy because he got his upper body workout for the week. Rest assured, we have a juicer now. KIC even showed us a trick on how to get even more juice out of the lemon. Yes, that's right, once again, I have been schooled by my child. I am dreading the days when she realizes I r dumb and she r smart, mostly because it will be patently obvious to even the most casual observer. They make smart pills, don't they???

Hope you all had a wonderful Labor Day!

No comments: